There are so many various buttercream recipes. In a rainbow cake recipe that has been reviewed previously, one of the materials used for its variation is to use a Swiss Meringue Buttercream Lemony. To add to the delights of rainbow cake, buttercream is really able to give a fresh taste, in addition to the sweetness.
Here’s the recipe and how to make Swiss Meringue Buttercream Lemony, quoted from www.marthastewart.com. You can learn and try to make Lemony Swiss Meringue Buttercream.
Use this buttercream to frost “Whisk Kid” blogger Kaitlin Flannery’s colorful Rainbow Cake.
Yield Makes enough for one 9-inch-round six-layer cake
For the Filling and Crumb Coat
- 9 large egg whites
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure lemon extract
For the Frosting
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure lemon extract
- Make the filling and crumb coat: Cook egg whites and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly until sugar is completely dissolved. Transfer to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment; mix on high speed until mixture is room temperature. With the mixer on medium-low, add butter, one piece at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Remove whisk attachment and switch to paddle attachment. Increase speed to high and beat until buttercream comes together, about 5 minutes; beat in lemon extract.
- Make the frosting: In a clean saucepan and bowl of an electric mixer, repeat process in step 1.